The Sheffield Academy Program is for boys and girls ages 6-11 and is intended to create an environment to make the transition from recreational soccer to competitive easier for players. The mission of the Academy is to maximize the potential of a player to achieve the highest technical, tactical, and functional skills. This will be achieved through a pool player training program to be executed by the most qualified training professionals available who can help players achieve these goals while also helping to develop the individual through good ethics, perseverance and sportsmanship.
Goals of the Sheffield Academy
- Create teams of players in small sided games of 4v4, 7v7, 9v9 to get more playing time, more touches on ball, more decision making, more learning, more fun
- Create optimal environment to learn the technical, tactical, physical, and psychologoical skills needed to play the game at higher levels. When players improve their technical ability their confidence grows and gives them a greater capacity to process information within the game.
- Make sure that all players are being appropriately challenged according to their skill level.
- Help the players develop a true love and passion for the game of soccer.
- Promote good sportmanship and a fun learning environment through small sided activities.
- Develop discipline. Sheffield expects all players to attend each training session; arrive early and ready to participate and learn; treat coaching staff, opponents, and referees with the utmost respect. Please remember that many of these standards come from parents and guardians in setting proper, positive examples.
- Increase individual ball mastery with both feet including shielding
- Encourage passion and experimentation
- Increase individual passing and receiving - development of first touch, turning with both feet, ability to pass different ways according to game situations, and introduction to combination play
- Basic fundamentals of shooting, striking ball
- Basic fundamentals of defending soccer - breaking down, delay, pushing opponent away from goal
- Basic fundamentals of heading
- Focus on 1v1, 2v1, 2v2, etc. versus positional training. All players will play multiple positions